TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Absolutely. 3" existed back then but wasn't efficient
People Seeking Info

Subject Absolutely. 3" existed back then but wasn't efficient

Posted by SeedyROM on July 26, 2007 at 7:42 PM
  This message has been viewed 898 times.

In Reply To is it just me or was it not so long ago when pretty much posted by robo (sebring1970) on July 26, 2007 at 06:48 PM

Message Short version: Old 3" designs were simply bigger pipes, most of which were shoddily made and 2.5" was still good enough up to 600RWHP or so. These are a complete redesign, as you can see.

Long version:
I can't recall exactly who, but I think Random Tech and perhaps B&B had 3" downpipes way back then. Time after time we'd see applications where the gains just weren't there, nor was the response. A few people put down good numbers with big turbo setups but there wasn't any real before/after data that showed the gains were purely from the exhaust. There was a lot of bench racing, but no scientific tests. That and simple math did say that 2.5" was enough for most setups to 600RWHP.

Adding fuel to the fire, the old 3" designs were horrible. If anyone has a pic of the RTs, they had a shoddy design that was pinched and had a rod going right through the pipe causing all sorts of turbulence.

I don't know the specifics on Greg's design of these new pipes, but I do know they've been in a "testing" or "non-public" sales phase for quite a while to see if they really were that much better. He also explained to me when I got my set that the tapered outlet and attention to detail in the chamber made a huge difference in how air flowed through. While dyno testing proved it, the easiest way to see (or hear) the difference is the sound. The periodic rasp that all of us with traditional 2.5" DPs have is now completely gone as the air flow is that much better. As a result, I made 3psi more boost at max duty cycle on my stock turbos/cans and I'm not alone.

www.SoCalZCrew.com - Come find out how we do it in the West!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.